We started out making the typical pine cone bird feeder but soon discovered that it fed much more than just the birds.
Basic materials needed:
- Pine cone or the likes
- Peanut Butter
- Something to spread peanut butter
- Book about topic (we used Stranger in the Woods)
- String to hang feeder
- Read Book
- Smear, paint, clump, and spread peanut butter on pine cone ( A good time to ask the children why we are using peanut butter and what the best tool for application is?)
- Sprinkle, stuff, and pat seeds into pine cone
- Ask what kind of bird they might see eating from the feeder ( this is a great opportunity to pull out a book about birds.)
- You can also explore the idea of other animals using the feeder.